Do you want crispy bread and melted cheese without the guilt? Check out our recipe for a diet-friendly Avocado Tuna Melt Panini!
Tuna is one of our favorite proteins here at Nutrisystem. It is on our list as one of the seven healthiest fish to eat for weight loss due to its high protein and omega-3 content (check out the rest of the lineup here >)! Create your sandwich spread by mixing together a half cup of low-sodium solid white albacore tuna with half of an avocado and a pinch of black pepper. Spread this tuna-avocado mixture onto one half of a low-calorie multigrain sandwich thin. Stack on two slices of red leaf lettuce, one slice of tomato, one slice of reduced fat provolone cheese and top with the other half of your sandwich thin. Now it’s time to press your panini!
There are a few different ways to heat up your panini. This would be the perfect time to break out your panini maker, if you happen to have one! Just place your assembled sandwich in the preheated panini press, press the lid down and cook for two to three minutes until it’s crispy. If you don’t have a special panini maker, not to worry! You can crisp up your creation on the stove-top or grill. If using the stove, grease a heated skillet with nonstick spray and place the assembled sandwich in the center. Lay down another pan, plate or lid on top of the sandwich and weigh it down with heavy objects in order to replicate a panini press. Cook for about two to three minutes on each side until it’s crispy. When using a grill, simply spray both sides of your panini with nonstick cooking spray. Place your sandwich on the preheated grill and cook for two to three minutes on each side until it’s crispy. You’ll love this healthy hot sandwich!
This recipe is super filling and the perfect addition to your weight-loss menu. One panini counts as one PowerFuel, one SmartCarb, three Extras and a half of a Vegetable serving on the Nutrisystem program. This makes it a great Flex Lunch for women. Feel free to add on an extra PowerFuel (such as more tuna or cheese) to count it as a Flex Lunch for men. You can also increase the veggies so that it counts as a full vegetable serving. Log this tuna melt in our NuMi app! NuMi is our easy-to-use tracking tool designed for your Nutrisystem plan. Get started with your journal here! >
Check out these other healthy recipes for your panini press!:
Love tuna but don’t feel like making it yourself? Try out Nutrisystem’s Tuna Salad lunch entree! >
Nutrisystem has many more simple and high-protein lunches. Learn more about our programs here! >
Servings: 2 (1 sandwich = 1 serving)
Calories per Serving: 344
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb, 1 PowerFuel, 3 Extras and 1/2 a Vegetable
- 1- 4 oz. can (1/2 cup) solid white albacore tuna, low sodium
- ½ avocado
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 2 slices tomato
- 4 slices red leaf lettuce
- 2 slices provolone cheese, reduced fat
- 2 multigrain sandwich thins
- In a bowl, mix together tuna, avocado and black pepper.
- Spread half of the tuna-avocado mixture on one side of a sandwich thin. Top with two pieces of lettuce, one tomato slice, one slice of cheese and top with the other half of the sandwich thin.
- Heat sandwich on either a panini maker, stove top or grill following the directions below:
- Panini Maker
- Place assembled sandwich in a preheated panini press. Press lid down and allow to cook for 2-3 minutes until crispy.
- Grease a heated skillet with nonstick spray and place assembled sandwich in the center. Lay another pan, plate or lid on top of the sandwich. Weigh down with heavy objects. Cook for 2-3 minutes until crispy. Flip and cook the other side for another 2-3 minutes.
- Spray both sides of sandwich with nonstick spray. Place sandwich on preheated grill and cook on each side for 2-3 minutes until crispy.
- Repeat above steps with second sandwich.